100% for free! 100% reimbursed! 100% money back!
I love it when I see these words in advertisement leaflets. When I see these words next to a product that I usually buy or next to staple products, I kind of get an adrenaline rush and have the feeling that I’ve won a contest! It may sound ridiculous or silly, but it’s true, it feels like a contest where you always win a price.
So 100% for free, what exactly does it mean? It depends on the brand, product and store, but most of the time it means that you first have to buy the product, fill in a form, send it to the correct address, and a few weeks later you receive your money back on your bank account (sometimes even the stamp is refunded). Occasionally you can find a 100% for free coupon that you just have to hand in at the cash register and then you don’t even have to pay for the product.
A few years ago, I discovered these 100% for free promotions. At the beginning I was really sceptical “Will they really repay me ? I often buy this toothpaste and now they will pay me back for buying it?”… One day I put my worries aside and just tried it and found that indeed, this was the case! No loopholes, no strings attached (with the possible exception of the fact that they now have more ‘data’ on me), no nothing! It was quite wonderful to see the deposit of 2,99 euro on my account. After this discovery I often buy such reimbursed products. Once a week I browse through the advertisement leaflets, and these 100% for free promotions always catch my eye since they are written in huge and flashy letters and after a while you know in which folders to look.
Over the past few years I have bought toothpaste (a lot of toothpaste), shampoo, razor blades, hair gel, laundry detergent, toilet paper … and so much more. And so far, I always received my money back. I have no idea how much money I have saved by these promotions, maybe around 50 euro per year … It’s nice to save that amount of money. I am also someone who does not stick to certain brands (there are some exceptions though), so I really don’t mind if my toilet paper or laundry detergent is from a different brand …
One of the products that I bought this week was dishwasher detergent. The store (Kruidvat) always has some products 100% reimbursed so when I saw this detergent being one of them I didn’t hesitate! Even if my own detergent wasn’t running low (which it is) this would still be a good idea since there’s not really an expiration date on detergent. It’s nice to save 6,99 euro … I bought the product, filled in the form, cut out the barcode, put everything in an envelope and mailed it with the post … Whoop, another contest won :).
This week (until Saturday) you can find this promotion in Belgium. A lot of you are however from different countries. Do you also have such kind of promotions? Do you participate? What are your experiences?
To end this blog 9 tips for such 100% free promotions:
- Only buy what you need. Even though your money gets reimbursed, there is no point in buying something you will never use (you don’t need dishwater detergent when you don’t have a dishwasher).
- Be sure to buy the right product (the right brand, series, size … ). In the advertisement it is always explained which products are part of the promotion. They won’t reimburse you if you bought the wrong product.
- Keep your receipt. You always have to send your receipt together with a form by post in order to get your money back. The same goes for the packing, don’t immediately throw it away, you often have to cut out the barcode.
- If there are two different products at the same time that get reimbursed, and you really want them both, ask for two separate receipts.
- Fill in the form and send it as soon as possible. Procrastination is never good, and most brands only accept the form a week or twee weeks after buying the product.
- Make sure everything is filled in perfect. It would be regrettable is you forget to fill in your account number, or if they cannot read your writing.
- Don’t do crazy things … There’s no point in taking a half an hour detour to save 2,99 euro. Staying pragmatic is key.
- Don’t feel obliged to buy some other stuff too. If you don’t need anything else just stick to the reimbursed product (you will not be the only person who only buys the product that is reimbursed).
- Keep in mind that it can happen that the product is already sold out when you have the chance to go to the store.
Enjoy your free product!